Monday, April 25, 2011

Pad Thai: Noodle Lounge Chelsea, NY

?

Cute, quaint and delicious.
Exit MTA lines A,C, E at 6th and 15th and you’ll find yourself in the heart of Chelsea. A handful of restaurants sit on this main street and the diner has their choice. We chose to stop in at a cute Thai restaurant: Pad Thai: Noodle Lounge. The atmosphere was relaxing enough that anyone may walk in from off the street and not feel under dressed, but stylish enough for a business lunch or second date.
We were greeted as soon as we stepped into the door and were sat in the middle of the open space. Before I could take my jacket off we were brought water and Thai chips with a thick peanut sauce.

For starters we began with an appetizing order of Samurai Summer rolls, Avocado, carrots, ginger, scallion, cucumbers and green tea noodles wrapped tightly in rice paper. Drizzled in a peanut sauce and drops of shriatch and a glaze on the plate; the dish was served with a plum wine sauce. The rolls were very difficult to eat, each bite pushed out the noodles on to our square share plates. I used my fork to feed myself the second bite. My attempt to cut the second roll failed. They were delicious enough that I was not embarrassed by the mess I was making. My dining partner ordered a green papaya salad. A layed helping of iceberg lettuce, green papaya (right?), carrots, green beans, tomatoes and crushed peanuts. The salad was served in a tall narrow bowl so that the lettuce did not become soggy with the dressing that sat at the bottom. I must confess that I did not try the salad but my guest enjoyed the light fare.

About the entrees.
Entrees are divided Noodles, Fried Rice, Curry, and Sautéed Every dish can be served spicy or not spicy and the diner has a choice of Tufu, Mixed Vegetables, Chicken, ($10) Beef, Shrimp or Scallops($12).

For my entrée I ordered Green Curry, spicy, with chicken. My guest ordered the name sake, Pad Thai, not spicy, with mixed vegetables. My curry was served hot in what resembled a large gravy bowl with a large ice cream scoop of white rice. The sauce, green curry and coconut milk was thick and tasty! There were shoots of bamboo jetting up above the liquid. Accents of colors from red and green peppers, zucchini and yellow squash relieved themselves as I mixed in the rice.

My guest’s Pad Thai was served traditional style, long stingy noodles, with little bigs of tofu, baby corn, snap peas, carrots, zucchini and mix peppers. The portion was large; The flavor was delicious with a hint of sweetness. The dish was actually better the next day, served straight out of the fridge, but in the restaurant it was still great.

Overall I give Pad Thai: Noodle Lounge, Chelsea, NY a high rating. The service was fast and efficient, the food was wonderful and the prices were beyond cheap especially considering the location (together I spent $36 w/o tip for two entrees, two apps and a specialty drink). I would like to see the spot expand their beer menu from the traditional water downed American brews. Check out this place when in NY.


Pad Thai: Noodle Lounge 114 8th Avenue, New York - (212) 691-6226







No comments:

Post a Comment

Eh Amigo! Whats on your mind?