Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tech Tuesdays: Twitter

?
I called my mom yesterday morning and in conversation she mentions "and i have to update my twitter account." i didn't know to laugh or to cry.
For starters I do not have Twitter. I get tired of hearing mainstream media discuss their twitter accounts (mainly Rick Sanchez-i love you Rick)
I hate on twitter because Twitter is what the U.S. has become an ADD Populated Society.
Twitter the "micro-blogging" site started in 2006; researches estimate that Twitter now has 4 to 5 million users world wide. Twitter restricts the user to a 140 character message (like the Facebook "Status" feature) in turn, users can "follow" others twitters/twetters (?) Good times!
I'm not the only twitter opponent. Today Scientist at USC, Cali not 'lina, released the results of a study that suggest that Twitter desensitizes society.

"(CNN) -- Rapid-fire TV news bulletins or getting updates via social-networking tools such as Twitter could numb our sense of morality and make us indifferent to human suffering, scientists say.

Scientists say updates on networking tools such as Twitter are often to quick for the brain to fully digest.

Scientists say updates on networking tools such as Twitter are often to quick for the brain to fully digest.

New findings show that the streams of information provided by social networking sites are too fast for the brain's "moral compass" to process and could harm young people's emotional development.

Before the brain can fully digest the anguish and suffering of a story, it is being bombarded by the next news bulletin or the latest Twitter update, according to a University of Southern California study.

"If things are happening too fast, you may not ever fully experience emotions about other people's psychological states and that would have implications for your morality," said researcher Mary Helen Immordino-Yang.

The report, published next week in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Online Early Edition, studied how volunteers responded to real-life stories chosen to stimulate admiration for virtue or skill, or compassion for physical or social pain. iReport.com: Growing pains for Twitter, Facebook?"



The sad truth is, i'm mad about the idea of twitter but i'll probably start one to for LaChaBenn.com :-P
and props to the 17 year old who broke on to Twitter yesterday-glad to see Brooklyn schools are teaching you something.

1 comment:

  1. I hate on Twitter, too, even though I have an account. I signed up b/c I couldn't figure out what the hell it was. I almost never update it, I always forget I have one, but hey, now I know what it is.

    ReplyDelete

Eh Amigo! Whats on your mind?