Sunday, March 20, 2011

Anthony Robles Wins NCAA Wresting Championship with one leg




Your friend has sent you an ESPN video!



Anthony Robles Wins NCAA Wrestling Title
Check out this video!



http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6238024


One-legged wrestler wins US college title


Agence France-Presse


PHILADELPHIA – Anthony Robles, born without a right leg, won the US national collegiate wrestling title at 125 pounds on Saturday, completing an unbeaten senior season and an amazing tale.
The 22-year-old Arizona State University standout defeated defending champion Matt McDonough from the University of Iowa 7-1 in the National Collegiate Athletic Association final to close out a 36-0 season.
"I had a lot of butterflies going out there," Robles said. "I have dreamed about stepping on that stage a dozen times and this whole year I've just been preparing for that moment.”
"And I was scared. I was scared out there, but as soon as I hit that first takedown I sort of relaxed. I said, 'OK, back to business. Same drill as usual, like every other match.'"
An early takedown and back points put Robles ahead to stay in the first period. McDonough scored in the final period but it was too little and too late, and after the end a sellout crowd of 17,000 gave Robles a standing ovation.
Robles has built his upper body strength and typically forces foes to stay low on the mat to try and defeat him.
He does not see himself as a wrestler with a disability, just as a wrestler, and now as a champion.
"I didn't get into the sport for the attention. I wrestle because I love wrestling," Robles said.
"But it inspires me when I get kids, even adults, who write me on Facebook or send me letters in the mail just saying that I've inspired them, and they look up to me, and they're motivated to do things that other people wouldn't have thought possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Eh Amigo! Whats on your mind?